Winter vegetables like potatoes and parsnips were made to be roasted. And on nights when I am craving a big, hearty, homely plate of vegetables, this herby roast vegetable dish really hits the spot.
The tofu adds a little texture, flavour and that all-important protein we vegos are forever hearing about. Served over sautéed garlic kale (sprout tops also work), this is the perfect dish for a chilly winter evening.
Herby Roasted Winter Veg & Tofu
1 large baking potato, cut into 3-4cm cubes
2 medium parsnips, cubed
200g smoky herbed tofu, pressed and cubed
1 small red onion, quartered
3 large cloves garlic, peeled and finely diced
2 teaspoons rosemary (fresh or dried)
2 teaspoons thyme (fresh or dried)
Salt and pepper to season
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 a head broccoli, stems trimmed
150g cherry tomatoes
50g kale, rinsed and loosely shredded
1. Pre-heat oven to 200ºC. Line a large baking tray with foil.
2. Par-boil diced potatoes for 6-8 minutes until starting to soften then drain, rinse and set aside. Repeat with parsnips.
3. Place potatoes, parsnips, tofu, onion and 2 garlic cloves in medium mixing bowl. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, then sprinkle with rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Toss until combined then pour contents over lined baking tray. Bake in oven for 10 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and turn vegetables. Add broccoli and tomatoes to tray and return to oven for further 6-10 minutes until tomatoes burst and remaining vegetables are crisp and browned.
Meanwhile, heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in medium fry pan. Add one clove garlic and kale and sauté until kale wilts and browns around edges.
5. Serve with kale as bed and top with roast vegetables and tofu.