A couple of weeks ago, I made quinoa stuffed peppers for dinner and the stuffing mix was so delicious that I ate it for the next two nights’ dinners as well. On night three, when I had run out of peppers to stuff, I decided to serve the mix on a pita with a side salad and I had a brainwave. These would make amazing sloppy joes.
I have been excited about making the ultimate comfort food ever since and with a few recipe tweaks for maximum sloppiness, I turned the dream into a reality.
Until I came to write this post, I thought I was so original with this recipe; so creative and inventive. Surely no one had thought of it before, right?! Well… Internet. Of course somebody had thought of it before. But I’m still pretty pleased with this vegan sloppy joe concoction and can see it making its way on to my plate quite regularly!
Quinoa Sloppy Joes
Makes 8-10 servings
1 cup raw quinoa (I used tri-colour quinoa)
2 cups water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 a red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
100g baby pomodorino (or cherry) tomatoes, diced
2 heaped teaspoons chilli powder
2 heaped teaspoons paprika
2 heaped teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon salt
Pepper to season, as desired
1 400g tin black beans
2 400g tins chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
8 wholemeal rolls or burger buns
1. Rinse and drain quinoa. Combine quinoa with two cups water in small saucepan. Bring to the boil, then lower heat and simmer until water is absorbed and quinoa is softened, around 10-12 minutes.
2. In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 2-4 minutes.
3. Stir in garlic, pomodorino tomatoes, chilli powder, paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper and cook for further 1-2 minutes.
4. Add black beans, tinned tomatoes, and tomato paste and stir until combined.
5. Gradually fold in quinoa, stir until combined and bring mix to a simmer. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens.
6. Spoon mixture generously on to rolls or buns.