I had forgotten how delicious simple stir-fries can be. Usually, I make a stir-fry when I have a drawer full of veggies that need to be used up and I just throw in whatever I’ve got to hand. Sauces range from sweet chilli to honey-soy to chilli-lemon.
Although these big throw-together meals are really tasty, sometimes it’s nice to focus on just one or two vegetables.
Given that broccoli is possibly my all-time favourite vegetable, I decided to make it the star of the show in this super-easy but flavourful dish. As usual, I just threw everything into the wok but below is the recipe with my guestimations of measurements. I love my stir-fries spicy and garlicky but this is such an easy recipe to adapt to your personal tastes. The broccoli will remain slightly crisp and the cashews make it a filling meal. If cashews are not for you, they could be substituted for almonds or peanuts.
Spicy Broccoli and Cashew Stir-Fry
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small red onion, diced
1 red chilli, chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
250g broccoli florets
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
100g sugar snap peas, de-stringed
1 teaspoon dried coriander leaves (or fresh if available)
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, plus extra teaspoon per person
Pepper to season
1. Heat olive oil in wok or large pan. Add onion and fry until starting to soften.
2. Add chillies and garlic and fry for further 1-2 minutes.
3. Add broccoli and fry until starting to soften, then add cashews, soy sauce and sesame oil. Fry for 3-5 minutes until cashews brown.
4. Add sugar snap peas, coriander and sesame seeds and stir until heated through.
5. Season with pepper, then remove from heat.
Serve over rice and sprinkle with extra sesame seeds.